Reply To: A city constrained by a Frank McDonald credo would be ‘dismal and prissy’ –

Home Forums Ireland A city constrained by a Frank McDonald credo would be ‘dismal and prissy’ – Reply To: A city constrained by a Frank McDonald credo would be ‘dismal and prissy’ –

lexington
Participant

@Bob Dole wrote:

I believe it’s a fly tower .
Agreed, it should not have been used to set the new datum.

I disagree – as part of prospective further development at the Opera House, a number of enhancement and extension options had been envisaged as far back as 1998/9. Among these, as indicated by Gerry Barnes himself, a vertical extension. Though some planners did note that building height should not use the fly-tower as a benchmark – the decision regarding 21 Lavitts Quay was overturned by Director of Planning Services and City Manager. Besides the desire to reclaim city centre office development – undoubtedly the Opera House propsect was a factor. This stretch of Lavitts Quay is well capable of accommodating this scale of structure – the new OCP building conveys such prominence given its positioning and with gaping spaces to either side of it – its a good building, but the quayside will be provided with further continuity with prospective development at 16 Lavitts Quay infilling the gap between 21 Lavitts Quay and an extended Opera House – with a possible (and I highlight ‘possible’) vertical extension to the rear of the PS to the west (???).

@Thomond Park wrote:

Having been in Cork the week before the Stirling Prize was announced I happened to read a full page article on the Glucksman Gallery written by a certain IT journalist. It wouldappear that Dunlop O’Callaghan has as poor a grip on fact as he has design taste.

??? :confused:

Latest News