Reply To: A few queries about the recent docklands developments….

Home Forums Ireland A few queries about the recent docklands developments…. Reply To: A few queries about the recent docklands developments….

-Donnacha-
Participant

Andy, why should anyone from Dublin feel the need to ‘have’ a building to ‘outstrip Cork and Belfast in terms of “vitality, confidence and prosperity.” Honestly, the fact that those two cities contain buildings that are taller than any of the capitals should not generate a feverish attempt to throw something up. Does a city hold pride by having taller buildings, just for the sake of it…how about having buildings of high design quality, architectural merit, beauty, whether they be high or low? I agree that Dublin probably should be witnessing the construction of much taller buildings, but for reasons aside from because the ‘regional’cities are embarrassing us etc. Build them because they will look good, inspire, accommodate people and jobs. Dublin’s tallest (Liberty hall)was an attempt to introduce height to the city for sake’s sake and I think it is one of the most boring buildings I have seen. Dublin’s vitality and confidence will not emerge from it casting jealous eyes elsewhere or by half- hearted efforts to make statements that supposedly re-affirm its status.Nothing has to be “proven”, where is the insecurity comiong from?

[This message has been edited by bunch (edited 09 March 2001).]

Latest News