1905 – Former Railway Station, Newcastle, Co. Down



The first terminus of the Belfast and County Down Railway (BCDR) opened their line south from Downpatrick in March 1869, but the current building dates from a 1905 remodelling when the Great Northern Railway of Ireland arrived here from Banbridge. The station at Newcastle is a large brick built terminus with a prominant clocktower, that had two platforms – one each for the BCDR and GNR lines. The BCDR line from Belfast was closed in January 1950, the GNR line closed completely in May 1955, by which time it had been taken over by the Ulster Transport Authority. Now a supermarket, the glass canopy over the entrance is gone.