1881 – Shops, Cornmarket, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie

0811

Demolished.
“The new shops shown in the illustration are almost ready for occupation, and have been built by Mr. William McCammond, of Belfast, under the direction of Messrs. Young & Mackenzie. The materials for the front are mainly Dungannon sandstone, the pilasters are of grey granite with polished plinths, and caps of Mansfield stone with carved heads in bold relief, representing the Four Ages of Man. The caps of the pilasters on the first floor have projecting heads, representing the five great divisions of the globe. The roof is covered with Bangor slates, with red moulded ridge tiles. The sashes of the windows are of Moulmein teak, filled with plate glass. The ceilings of the main shops are panelled in woods, with sheeting of pitch pine in geometrical patterns. The internal fittings are designed to harmonise with the style of the exterior. The ground-floor windows are provided with revolving shutters. The double shop will be occupied by Mr. W.M. McNeill, and the two others by Messrs. Cooper and Roper.” The Architect, March 19 1881