1880 – Magheramorne House, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel P. Close

0797

08100796

Magheramorne stands in a prominent, elevated position overlooking Larne Lough and situated between Carrickfergus and Larne. Designed in a restrained style with Tudor revival elements circa 1878 by Samuel P. Close, it was built by James Henry for Sir James Hogg to mark his rise to the peerage of Baron Magheramorne in 1880. It replaced Ballylig House, an earlier and more modest residence originally constructed in 1817. Magheramorne House was then occupied by the Baron’s family until 1904 when Colonel James McCalmont took up residence. After several changes of ownership, it is now a hotel and wedding venue.

“The above house has been recently erected by Sir James McGarel Hogg, Bart., M.P., Chairman of the Metropolitan Board of Works, London, at Magheramorne, County Antrim, from designs by Mr. Close, Architect, Belfast. The works have been carried out by Mr. James Henry, of Belfast.” The Architect, October 2, 1880.