1806 – Barracks, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: Abraham Addison Hargrave



John Anderson, a Scottish merchant, settled in Cork and in 1797 bought the Fermoy estate. He gave sites to the British government to develop a massive barracks. He then built the town of Fermoy in order to meet the needs of the garrison. The East Barracks were designed and built by Abraham Hargrave between 1801 and 1806. The West Barracks and military hospital were added to the complex in 1809. Burnt to the ground by Irish Republican Army irregulars after the British Army left in 1922. Only fragments of walls and gateways exist today.