1901 – St. Eunan’s Cathedral, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
Designed by William Hague & completed under supervision of T.F. McNamara in a Victorian neo-Gothic style on a site overlooking the town. The landmark spire is 240 feet in height. White Mountcharles sandstone used in the construction. It was shipped along the coast and up the Swilly. The cathedral interior is furnished in oak, with a marble pulpit by Pearse Brothers of Dublin. The pulpit depicts statues of the Four Masters and the Four Evangelists. The stained glass windows that illuminate the sanctuary and the Lady Chapel are by Mayer of Munich.
In 1985, the cathedral was renovated and remodelled to better conform to the liturgical requirements of the Second Vatican Council – much more successfully than at other Irish cathedrals. The original altar-piece, an Irish carving of Leonardo’s The Last Supper, is still present in the cathedral and has been incorporated into the new altar.