1968 – Armagh Planetarium, Co. Armagh
Armagh Planetarium was first proposed in 1943 and the Armagh observatory team worked towards its realisation for over two decades. The Planetarium was built in the late 1960s and opened on 1st May 1968. The building was designed by the Lurgan-born architect G. Phillip Bell, and the Planetarium’s first Director was Sir Patrick Moore, who travelled to Japan to procure its first projector system. It has since been added to with further exhinbition galleries, and reclad externally.