1925 – Presbyterian War Memorial Hostel, Belfast
When the First World War ended in 1918 the question arose of a suitable war memorial to Irish Presbyterians who had made the supreme sacrifice – the idea for a hostel, a home-from-home for young Presbyterians from all parts of Ireland who found themselves strangers in the city, was put forward.
By 1925, The Presbyterian War Memorial Hostel, at the corner of Howard Street and Brunswick Street was completed to a design by Young & Mackenzie. Its purpose was “to provide a Memorial to perpetuate the memory of the deeds and sacrifices of the sons and daughters of the Church in the cause of truth and freedom in the Great European War 1914-1918” and provided accommodation for young people at work or attending university. The accommodation consists of 122 rooms for boarders, 72 for young women and 54 for young men, while a number of rooms were also provided for visitors staying for a limited period. In addition, a private suite of two bedrooms and sitting-rooms were reserved for missionaries of the church home on furlough. Several lounges were provided for rest and recreation. A quiet room was provided for study. There was a well-equipped library. A spacious public restaurant was located on the ground floor, while on the flat roof a delightful garden with seats was laid out, commanding an excellent view of the city and its environs.
Now known as Howard House.