1901 – Our Lady Of The Rosary Church, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
In 1876 a new church to a design by J.J. O’Callaghan began construction in Castlebar, largely funded by the diaspora in the USA. Progress slowed when the parish priest Canon James Magee died in 1885. His successor, Canon Patrick Lyons, demolished the half-completed church in 1891, much to the consternation of parishioners and donors, and started again.
This church designed by Walter G. Doolin was started in 1897 and opened in 1901. James Pearse, father of Padraig Pearse, carved the marble altar, and the stained glass was by Meyer of Munich, Germany. The large, five-lancet window over the altar, features images depicting scenes from the fifteen mysteries of the rosary, and was presented by the Archbishop of Tuam, Dr. John McEvilly.
The original design of the church provided for a spire on top of the tower, although this has never been completed.