1840 – Caledon Monument, Caledon, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William Murray



Built in the 1840s in memory of the 2nd Earl Caledon, in form of Greek Doric column the column was topped by a statue by Cork-born sculptor Thomas Kirk. Constructe by James Du Pré, 3rd Earl of Caledon. A local landmark for some time, the hill was apparently used as an observation point during WW2. The column and statue were destroyed during the Troubles, blown up in 1973. The railings and the rows of trees remain.

Previously in 1839, Thomas Duff won an architectural competition for a monument from 32 entries.