1763 – John’s Bridge, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny
John’s Bridge, which connects John’s Street with the rest of the city, was originally built after 1200 and was destroyed by the great floods of 1487 and 1763 and subsequently rebuilt each time. The illustrated bridge was designed by George Smith and was replaced by the present John’s Bridge in 1910.
George Smith was an architect from Kilkenny and the engineer of the Nore navigation from 1761. After severe flooding in 1763 had destroyed several bridges on the Nore, Smith designed two new bridges in Kilkenny – John’s Bridge and Greene’s Bridge – and a bridge at Inistioge.