1566 – Bridge, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
The building of the nine-arched Elizabethan bridge of Athlone in 1566, was a prelude to the establishment of the presidency of Connacht in 1569. The headquarters of the presidency was located in Athlone Castle. The castle was built on land belonging to the Cluniac Priory of SS Peter & Paul, which had been founded in the 12th century. The bridge was replaced in the late 1830s.