1894 – Great Southern Hotel, Parknasilla, Co. Kerry
Originally started out as Parknasilla House after the Bland family built Derryquin Castle on the grounds as a new resience. In the mid nineteenth century Parknasilla house was leased and subsequently purchased by Bishop Charles Graves. The hotel started out in what was then known as the Bishop’s House in 1895, after which a better position was chosen in 1897 for a new purpose built hotel building.
The new Parknasilla Hotel faced the Kenmare River and offered its guests unparalleled views. Facilities included Turkish and hot and cold seawater baths, reading and games rooms and bathrooms on every floor. Designed in a Scottish Baronial style with high pitched roofs, gables and tower, all faced in local stone. The principal reception rooms and bedrooms overlooked the sea view. The architect was J.F. Fuller who had local family links.