1855- Commodore Hotel, Cobh, Co. Cork
A purpose built hotel for for James Scott & Co, known as Queen’s Hotel, containing “upwards of 50 bedrooms, drawing rooms and vapour baths, together with all the other applicances that could be expected or desired in a first-rate metropolitan establishment”. Opened as the Queen’s hotel in 1855, in honour of Queen Victoria who landed close by, it was one of Ireland’s first purpose built hotels. When Ireland gained independence in 1921, it was renamed The States Hotel and finally became the Commodore Hotel in 1939. For a period during the first World War, it served as a hospital and it was where many of the survivors of the Lusitania sinking were brought.