1838 – Abbotstown House, Castleknock, Co. Dublin
The Falkiner family became Baronets of Abbotstown in 1812. The Falkiners married into the Hamilton family who lived on the neighbouring estate of Sheephill and in 1832 both estates were amalgamated by the Hamiltons and a new residence, Abbotstown House, was built as the family seat. A rambling two-storey Regency house with several wings and garden frontages, and a farm complex alongside.
The family sold Abbotstown to the Marine Institute of Ireland, who were located at Abbotstown House until 2005, while much of the demesne was used by the Department of Agriculture for agricultural research including cattle and other breeding programs, the whole being managed by the Office of Public Works. In 2005, the house was acquired by the Government of Ireland for Sports Campus Ireland. The house stands closed up today.