1905 – Castle Buildings, Castle Place, Belfast
Built in 1905 for C. McCullagh and Co, silk mercers and milliners; and extended in a similar style in 1907. Castle Buildings is possibly one of the last buildings to display the detailed exuberance of the Victorian era. It is also one of Belfast’s finest example of Art Nouveau architecture, with a façade of ‘carraraware’ faïence tiles, in cream and green. These were a Doulton & Co product. It has a highly ornamented, irregular skyline which consists of two dragons, a Dutch gable, and a drum.
Photograph Copyright and Courtesy of Albert Bridge