1867 – Wool Exchange Building, Bradford, Yorkshire
The winning entry in an architectural competition that drew many entries, with John Ruskin invited to give his advice. Wwon by the local architects Lockwood and Mawson with a design in Venetian Gothic with some Flemish influences. The accompanying photograph shows the architectural detail of the tower and arcading well, but the light is not strong enough for the contrasting stone colours to emerge. When the building was listed in 1963, the interior of the hall was described: “The main hall is still used as a Wool exchange and has finely detailed lofty hammer-beam roof with wrought iron work decoration. The hall is surrounded by tall polished granite columns with foliate capitals and there is an outer south aisle arcade with good naturalistic foliage carving. Lively wrought ironwork balcony and staircase balustrade.”Now used as a bookstore.