1885 – Railway Station, Belturbet, Co. Cavan
Belturbet was the former terminus station of both the 4¼ mile Ballyhaise to Belturbet branch of the Great Northern Railway and of the Cavan and Leitrim Railway. For many years the station was derelict but it is now fully restored and houses a museum. The Cavan and Leitrim Railway opened for goods traffic on 17 October 1887 and for passengers on 24 October 1887. The section from Belturbet in County Cavan to Dromod in County Leitrim was narrow-guage railway. At Belturbet the line connected with the Great Northern Railway branch to Ballyhaise on the Clones to Cavan line. In 1925, the company was amalgamated into the Great Southern Railways. By the 1930s the Cavan and Leitrim Railway was in trouble due to road competition. The line finally closed on 31 March 1959, the last exclusively steam narrow-gauge line in Ireland.