O'Donnell + Tuomey Architects
University College Dublin
1845 – St. John the Baptist, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
2003 – Centre for Research into Infectious Diseases, University College Dublin, Co. Dublin
Architect: O’Donnell + Tuomey
For the first time, the campus at Belfield has a landmark visible from its main entrance on Stillorgan Road. The boot-like form of the new building, visible above a stand of mature trees, creates a striking silhouette. Before the construction of the CRID Building, the only part of the campus visible from the city was the water tower. This strikingly smart looking building contains laboratories with north facing glazing. While not to everyone’s taste, the cold, hard, clinical nature of the design reflects the purpose of the building.