Architecture of Kilkenny
RIAI Conservation Medal
1820 – Kilkenny Castle Stableyards, Co. Kilkenny
Architect: Charles Vierpyl
A fine building across the street from the castle and grander than many public buildings in other towns in Ireland, the stables consist of two courtyards and buildings. The main range is parallel to the street and has a fine stone façade which is now the Kilkenny Design shop. Behind that is a courtyard with has the curved range to its rear. Through the central archway on this block leads to another courtyard which has been converted to workshops for various small craft industries.