1878 – 19th Century restoration of Hereford Cathedral, Herefordshire

Architect: George Gilbert Scott

0002

In 1841 restoration work of the medieval cathedral of Hereford was begun, carried out by Lewis Nockalls Cottingham and his son, Nockalls. When Nockalls Cottingham drowned on a voyage to New York in September 1854, George Gilbert Scott was called in, and from that time the work of restoring the choir was performed continuously until 1863, when the cathedral was reopened with solemn services. The west front was restored by John Oldrid Scott over the period 1902 and 1908.

Last Updated February 2nd, 2023 at 7:22 pm