In 1806, Trinity College took a lease on two acres of land at Ballsbridge, later extending it to a total of just over seven acres by 1848. The whole site was enclosed by stone walls, lined with yellow brick. The Pembroke and Lansdowne Road walls were lower and topped with railings. The lease on the land, which was due to expire in the 1980s, was relinquished late in the 1960s and the gardens relocated to Trinity Hall in Dartry where they still operate today. The high value of the land meant that the property was quickly redeveloped.