Re: Re: St Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Ringsend
Interesting that it should be Fuller; he was the District Architect 1862-1870 for the Irish Ecclesiastical Commissioners. When Gladstone disestablished the Church the IEC officials were offered a lump sum and Fuller used this and an overdraft from the National Bank to set up on his own. His first job was Annamore House in Co. Sligo and quickly followed that by Mount Falcon, for the Knox family. Then the Church Representative Body was formed and he got the old work back as a private practitioner. He built quite a few churches in the 40 years he was associated with the CRB, and was very ecumenical in his demeanour (and work.) Arthurstown, Co. Wexford; Rattoo, Co. Kerry; Killadease, Co. Fermanagh; Donoughpatrick, Durrow, Syddan, Lynally – all 4 in the diocese of Meath; Clane, Co. Kildare; Rathdare, Co. Laois; and the Memorial Church at Kylemore. He used Dalkey granite on the latter, sending it by ship to Letterfrack. When building Kylemore it took him a day to travel Dublin – Westport, a day to Leenane, a day to supervise. He managed to get to Westport by nightfall on the 4th day, usually just in time to get the “night mail” back to Dublin. He also was official architect to the Benchers of the King’s Inns. Remarkable man, given his output and the fact that he was a full-time genealogist and part-time architect!