Re: Re: Irish say no to PVC windows

Home Forums Ireland Irish say no to PVC windows Re: Re: Irish say no to PVC windows

Devin
Participant

I’m pretty sure the Capel Street windows were timber, but they do have a plastic moulding-ey look alright.

[align=center:3p05fceo]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/align:3p05fceo]

Buildings recorded by the NIAH in the early ‘00s have since been PVC’d. Here are just four examples I’ve noticed – three of them because I worked on the survey in question (Kildare) and remember the buildings. God knows how many others there are from all around the country:

NIAH page

Newbridge, Co. Kildare, 2003

And the same building now.

[align=center:3p05fceo]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/align:3p05fceo]

NIAH page

Leixlip, Co. Kildare, 2003. The pictures of the NIAH’s buildings have been published at such a miniscule size that it’s sometimes hard to even see what kind of windows are in the building, and there aren’t always additional detail shots. But I remember that this building had fine early-19th century sashes.

And now with PVC.

[align=center:3p05fceo]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/align:3p05fceo]

NIAH page

Kilcock, Co. Kildare, 2003. Same problem here. If it wasn’t for the window close-up in ‘Additional Images’ you would scarcely be able to tell that the building had had sashes when it was recorded, and the picture is not quite sharp either.

In any event it’s been all plastic-ed up now. Yum, yum.

PVC-ing of old buildings in Irish towns seems to indicate that the building is going to be used rather than let rot, or even – shock horror – lived in by natives!

Latest News