Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’


This is the text of that bronze plaque in Wexford:

And below is a late 19th century image of the Fish Market building of 1796 which replaced the 17th century Tholsel. The steeply pitched gable wall of the earlier building [or an adjoining corner house] is evident above the roof of the right-hand wing.

the Fish Market shortly before demolition

After the Fish Market building was demolished, a decorative screen wall incorporating a blind arcade and ornamental gables was constructed on the site in time for the 1798 centenary, this screen wall picked up on the ‘Flemish’ architectural heritage of the Bull Ring houses opposite, as noted in the text in the plaque.

an early 20th century postcard image of the Bull Ring showing the 1898 screen wall

Another postcard image from the 1920s or 30s showing the screen wall in the distance and the ‘Boots’ building on the left with a gap beyond it where the other two gabled houses had been demolished on the corner of the Bull Ring. Note that one of the houses opposite was gabled also, as also seen in the aerial view posted earlier.

There is quite an active local historical society in Wexford and there are some fine publications on the subject by Nicholas Furlong and others . . . . . from which pages some of these images are plundered.

Latest News