Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’
Here is another view of the two gables to the rear of Johnâ€™s Square / Brennanâ€™s Row.
5 Broad Street / Flag Lane (1800/1920)
Although not an original Dutch gable but the architect / property owner back in 1920 had a sense for the historical context of the street.
NIAH describes no. 5 as an attached two-bay two-storey building, built c. 1800, with a curvilinear gabled faÃ§ade c. 1920, and rubble limestone exposed side elevation. A plain modestly-scaled industrial building given an early twentieth-century flourish with a curvilinear gabled faÃ§ade, which adds significantly to the architectural heritage of Broad Street.
Lock Quay / Baalâ€™s Bridge
Just around the corner on Lock Quay from no. 5 Broad Street above is a b/w photograph of a print from James Henry Brocas (1790-1846) / Old Baal’s Bridge (looking downstream). On the left are two Dutch gables to be seen on the Irishtown side.
This photograph (ca. 1900) would seem to confirm the factual existence of those two Dutch gables in the print above rather than some romantic depiction evoking an imagined past. This time the view of Baalâ€™s Bridge is in the upstream direction and the Irshtown is on the right. There is only one gable to be seen.
300 Year Treaty Commemoration (1691-1991)
There is a map, birds eye view of Limerick 1691 from south by Richard Ahern, 1991, sponsored by Treaty 300 and Powers Whiskey. Based on the 1591 map in the Hardiman Collection, TCD.
The buildings in the city numbered 1-101 with key to Englishtown (1-69) to right and Irishtown (70-101) to left.
Parishes lettered A-E
Alas the detail in the Limerick Museum image below is blurred as the original was probably in poster format size. It would be interesting to see how the gabled houses were depicted on it along John St, Broad St, Mary St, Nicholas St and Castle St.