Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’
Jim Kemmy / Larry Walsh wrote the following in a book called â€œold Limerick in Postcardsâ€.
In Broad Street, the houses had steeply pitched gables, while those in the Meat Market and Castle Street and Johnâ€™s Square had rounded, pointed or pedimented gables. Only two of these gables have survived and can be seen at the rear of the Johnâ€™s Square houses, beside Brennanâ€™s Row.
Photograph, b/w print. View of two Dutch gables with long chimney stack behind; St. John’s Sq., S. side.
These Dutch gables are to be found at the rear of this house which was recently restored. Iâ€™m not sure if these two gables existed before this house / square was built or are an original part of this house?
End-of-terrace five-bay three-storey over basement limestone townhouse, built in 1751, distinguished on this side of the square by a limestone ashlar symmetrical faÃ§ade. Attached building to the east. Hipped slate roof. Limestone ashlar eaves cornice supporting cast-iron rainwater goods. Square-headed window openings to front elevation with limestone flat arch voussoirs, limestone ashlar sills, patent rendered reveals and six-over-six and three-over-six timber sash windows. Two-over-two timber sash window to lancet opening. Square-headed front door opening, with limestone voussoirs above original lugged limestone architrave and replacement flat-panelled timber door. Front site basement area currently opening directly onto the pavement.
Interesting the NIAH also reveals a similar banister swan-neck handrail feature as in Gunterâ€™s post #201 above in a house on the opposite side of the square.
Aerial view overlooking Brennanâ€™s Row.