Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Home Forums Ireland Developments in Cork Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Anonymous
Inactive

@rumpelstiltskin wrote:

I personally think Patrick Street it too wide and full of ugly buildings. South Mall is, I will agree, a rather nice street but it has its fair share of ugly buildings too.

I’ve lived in both Limerick and Cork and enjoyed both cities. I’ll admit that at present Cork is a more pleasant place to stroll around. However, when I lived there I found it really irritating that Cork people continually knocked Limerick as a dump that nobody could possibly want to visit, whereas Cork was “the real capital of Ireland.”

The facts are these:
Limerick’s extensive network of Georgian streets is better than Cork’s collection of pleasant but nondescript 19th century buildings.
Limerick’s St. Mary’s Cathedral is infinitely more interesting than St. Colman’s Cathedral.
Limerick’s got a medieval castle which Cork does not.
Limerick’s Hunt Museum is better than every museum in Cork put together.
Limerick’s river has a certain epic sweep which Cork’s tiny river lacks.
Cork has better coffee shops and a more laid back atmosphere.
Cork’s market is infinitely better than Limerick’s.
Cork’s got a better cultural scene than Limerick.

Overall, Limerick is fundamentally a more beautiful city than Cork, but it’s very grubby and people don’t notice it. When Limerick cleans itself up it could be the most beautiful city in Ireland. Cork alas could never have that distinction.

This has to be one of the funniest wums ever seeing as Cork is actually called “Beautiful City”

Corks network of pedestrianised streets,compact walkable city centre,bridges,port and harbour vistas,topography of its hills and feels more like continental French city than the English feel to Dublin and parts of Limerick that have the Georgian influence.

Introducing Cork City
Show mapClose map
Cork buzzes with the energy of a city that’s certain of its place in Ireland. Indeed, so confident is the former ‘Rebel City’ that locals only half-jokingly refer to it as the ‘People’s Republic of Cork’. The city has long been dismissive of Dublin and with a burgeoning arts, music and restaurant scene, it’s now getting a cultural reputation to rival the capital’s.

The River Lee flows around the centre, an island packed with grand Georgian parades, cramped 17th-century alleys and modern masterpieces such as the opera house. The flurry of urban renewal that began with the city’s stint in 2005 as European Capital of Culture continues apace, with new buildings, bars and arts centres springing up all over town. The best of the city is still happily traditional though – snug pubs with live music sessions most of the week, excellent local produce in an ever-expanding list of restaurants and a genuinely proud welcome from the locals.

Latest News