Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Home Forums Ireland Developments in Cork Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Anonymous
Inactive

@rumpelstiltskin wrote:

Well just because being built on a grid pattern contributes to a sense of being city-like, it doesn’t mean that not being built on a grid pattern implies a place is not city-like. I know Cork people love to harp on about how they can challenge Dublin for supremacy. But, in reality, Cork has one really inelegant main street and a bunch of tiny streets coming off it. And the little stream running through it contributes to the sense of being in a smallish town. It reminds me of some place like Athlone or Tralee. Limerick is built on a very wide river and has wider streets. It may be an illusion, but my impression is of a bigger place. It’s also got a lot more going for it in terms of historical attractions and potential. In short, Limerick is by any standards infinitely superior to Cork and the real second city of Ireland.

Cheers rumpel… you are a wum.
No one in Cork talks about supremacy. We acknowledge that our town is a mid size provincial town that would at best be a suburb of London or Paris.

Our main thoroughfare is certainly not inelegant – try taking a look at some of the buildings. The South Mall is by far the nicest business street in the country.

The beauty of Cork for me is that it is a small town – but at almost three times the population of Limerick, a much bigger small town than Limerick. Cork is full of historical attractions, but of course you’d have to park your willingness to knock everything that Cork is before being able to take an objective look at my town.

Latest News