Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Home Forums Ireland Developments in Cork Re: Re: Developments in Cork

kite
Participant

@samuel j wrote:

Well hopefully the next few months will see a clearer picture of where it all heading and regardless than something good comes of it all and Warehouse section gets some lease of life…..
My main point was and still is, is that in general Port of Cork are probably one of the better organisations around and again in general not one known for feet dragging… so still wonder if we are seeing the full picture.

You did mention them holding the city to ransom…. I think this is unfair…. the investment needed to create a downriver port is immense. Whereas I would agree that an upriver Dublin style dockland rejuvenation is needed and welcome, Dublin was a much different csse as most of the docklands there that were given life had been dormant for years and were not working berths/quays as effectively Dublin Port had already moved to Alexandra Road long before.

Overall I agree with you on it being the way forward but just don’t feel POC should be blamed for all ills

I could agree with you were it not for the fact that the overall responsibility for planning, looking after our heritage, etc. is in the hands of Cork City Council and the CEO of same, Mr. Joe Gavin.
The crossover of responsibilities, wages (expenses), and members of the board of the Port of Cork leaves a lot to be desired, especially when these guys are coming to the taxpayer of the city looking for a handout to relocate while leaving one of the most important buildings (a listed building) in the city fall into a serious state of disrepair.
:rolleyes: A conflict of interest or what?
Management of these type of company’s never seem to just retire on a huge pension for sitting on their asses for years, but are “appointed” to other Boards, charitable organizations, the arts etc without a care for the destruction they have left behind.

😉 Where is a former City Manager employed?
😉 Where is a former CEO of the POC employed?
😮 Where will J.G. end up now that Dublin rejected him?
:rolleyes: Will, (can) things change in the future?

Latest News