Re: Re: Cork Transport

Home Forums Ireland Cork Transport Re: Re: Cork Transport

browser
Participant

@vkid wrote:

just wondering why people think the DAA should pay for 40m of old debt and 180m of debt related to the terminal before they hand over to CAA? Surely if Cork Airport is to be a stand alone entity and has as much potential as people here believe, surely it should pay for some of the new facility that it has at its disposal. Why should the DAA/government pay for all of it?
Political promises always have been worthless in this country and contrary to what is often hinted at here, Cork is not the only place to fall foul of this. (Reading some of the hard done by Cork posts on here recently you’d think its getting nothing)
Just curious to the logic here as I dont know much of the history (political promise aside)

vkid, answer me this, if the daa wasn’t to pay for the debt why then was it given, in toto, the Great Southern Chain and Aer Rianta international? How come Cork & Shannon didn’t get 1/3 of those? In any event the project over ran from€140m to €220m. Who was supposedly surpervising the project at the time? The DAA of course. My good sources inCAA tell me they have run Cork airport into the ground for thelast 2 yrs vetoing any decent proposal – as of course you’d expect the to because they are the competition!

That is even before you recall that the DAA and Shannon got their airport upgrades through the purse strings of Aer Rianta, a state body with tax money from everywhere, inc Cork, funding those upgrades. We should have been upgraded 20 yrs earlier but the delay in giving us an upgrade is being used to justify us having to pay for it!

Don’t get me wrong, the question you ask is valid (this isn’t a begging bowl issue I promise) but so are the answers to it. I think the government has no idea of the strength of feeling about this here. The promise (and I know – politicians break these all of the time) is being seen as a bell wether of whether this gov could give a flying f**k about Cork (we already had our doubts). The answer is a resounding no.

Latest News