Re: Re: college green/ o’connell street plaza and pedestrians

Home Forums Ireland college green/ o’connell street plaza and pedestrians Re: Re: college green/ o’connell street plaza and pedestrians

gunter
Participant

On College Green, I know it’s out of the question to get rid of the Trinity railings, although the 1750s Tudor image (which I can’t now find) showing the great space cobbled from one side to the other, still appeals to me, but what is the justification for the grass? The need to have grass in the middle of every urban space is a characteristically British thing! Every major public building building in Britain is located within spitting distance of a random piece of suburban lawn, you don’t see this anywhere else.

At the very least Trinity should stick in a couple of nice, student friendly, coffee shops on the ground floor, with a couple of the window opes converted into discreet door opes, openings out onto paved terraces here and get some use (and revenue) out of these spaces, or would digging up the British grass upset north/south relations and jeopardize the peace process?

Latest News