Re: Re: Bewleys

Home Forums Ireland Bewleys Re: Re: Bewleys

Anonymous
Participant

@crestfield wrote:

Does anyone know if the “SaveBewleys.com” website is still in use or being maintained.

The savebewleys campaign is suspended and will only re-form should any planning application be made on either of the two premises to the best of my knoweledge. The web site was designed and hosted by desire media who were very professional in delivering a top spec website on a very short timeframe. In addition to delivery the website desire media also removed a lot of generically generated and or targetted spam which was extremely offensive at times and was placed onto the online petition at very regular and frequent occaisions, no payment was ever sought for these additional services.

The website has not been updated since May of this year for unknown reasons but as a former committee member I wish to thank everyone who supported us. I further wish to say that neither Bewleys would have survived as a functioning cafe if the outgoing Lord Mayor of Dublin Ald Michael Connaghan had not put his political reputation on the line.

Once he did put his reputataion and his considerable energy into the campaign a broad coalition of experienced conservationists and enthusiastic interested parties met on average twice a week for a 7 month period, the technical assistance of An Taisce was crucial to the decision reached by An Bord Pleanala as was senior inspector Dermot Kelly’s flawless planners report.

The website will I expect be taken down once consent is received from the majority of the former committee; it is worth noting that this group may potentially re-activate should the need arise.

Besides the securing of both cafes the new protections afforded to the use relating to buildings with a particular social importance that derive much if not most of their quality from providing that use was the biggest victory.

Thanks to Cllr Oisin Quinn for drafting this motion and to the entire elected group of councillors for allowing it to be adopted without dissent or ammendment you have all served Dublin well.

Latest News