Re: Re: 2006 Highlights
The Lord Mayor of Cork, Cllr. Michael Ahernâ€™s highlights of 2006 as published by the Evening Echo 22nd December.
1. â€œThe Lord Mayorâ€™s Christmas concert was a great event and raised around 30,000 euroâ€
2. â€œLaunching books on the burning of Cork in 1920â€
3. â€œOfficial visits to city schoolsâ€
4. â€œMeeting Bob Geldof was great. He gets things done- look at what he has achieved. Heâ€™s moving mountainsâ€
And his wish list for 2007;
1. â€œThe docklands seem to be going fairly well, and I look forward to more progress in 2007.
Last year, I would have said it would take 15 years to put in place, but now Iâ€™d say it will be much shorter than that.â€
2. â€œThe extension of the city boundary was another on the table, and it has progressed. It wonâ€™t finish in my time, to be honest. But we might get a response from Cork County Council in my time.
â€œI suppose itâ€™ll be negative overall, but it might be positive.
â€˜Thereâ€™s a few councilors on the county side beginning to see something needs to
â€œIt would be better if we could do it with agreement, and thatâ€™s not impossible.
But itâ€™ll be after the General Election Iâ€™d say.â€
3. â€œI wanted, and apparently will be getting, a local area plan for the city centre for the island between the two rivers.
â€œPlanning shouldnâ€™t just be in response to developers. We should be leading the way. There needs to be something to pull it all togetherâ€.
â€œYou canâ€™t just .put a high building here and a low building there and let the
builders have it whatever they want. We should be leading, instead of
responding and reacting.â€