Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

Home Forums Ireland Look at de state of Cork, like! Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

lexington
Participant

Originally posted by d_d_dallas
Lexington – it was a given even before it was announced that Water St would be brought to ABP by certain obsessed unbalanced people.
There no doubt, some horribly watered down version of the project will get put through – and miss the greatest opportunity to get the docklands off to a positive note. The submission to ABP has probably already been prepared, you know something to the effect “this important and popular area is a valued historical record of economic deprivation, crime and recession and the unremarkable, therefore it demands preservation”.

Originally posted by mickeydocs “this important and popular area is a valued historical record of economic deprivation, crime and recession and the unremarkable, therefore it demands preservation”.

Interesting. I don’t believe most Dubliners feel like that toward Cork. I think the thought isn’t really ever on their minds – Corkonians probably exaggerate that ideology more than anyone else. From dealing with Dublin based developers, my general feeling is that they don’t really care where the development is as long as it’s profitable first and foremost. However, I do acknowledge that it is a mentality that nonetheless does exist in the minority. It’s a real shame. I think certain people forget that what’s good for Cork, is good for Ireland. Last time I checked, we were all in the same country.

I have little to no respect for An Taisce – I genuinely can’t understand sometimes why they act the way they do toward Cork. It’s very frustrating and exceptionally unfair to not only developers, but the people of Cork. Their behaviour in Cork has made them gain little respect in Cork as a whole – this is true because a interest of mine has researched this and had it independently verified. An Taisce really are troublemakers in Cork at least.

Cork is on the verge of creating a new dynamic commercial and business region in the docklands. Water Street is a vital element of this. As is City Quarter, No.6 and No.6 Lapps Quay, Albert Quay House development (Howard Holdings) and Eglinton Street. I don’t understand why people like An Taisce and CIE are holding something so incredible back. As Howard Holdings have said, Cork with the proper investment has the ability to become Europe’s best value and most dynamic international business city – as distinct from the administrative and national financial base that Dublin is for Ireland. Cork could be a stand alone international financial centre – this is what Howard Holdings among other developers are really pushing forward with. It’s a shame people like An Taisce can’t share and support this vision which will benefit ALL people.

Latest News