Reply To: Has anyone a picture of the George’s Quay tower?

Home Forums Ireland Has anyone a picture of the George’s Quay tower? Reply To: Has anyone a picture of the George’s Quay tower?

RB
Participant

The Seven Canary Dwarves

Whilst I do not object to the height of the tallest tower, the overall visual mass or agglomeration of towers seems so removed from Dublin’s urban context.

The towers’ pyramidal roof structure immediately refers to London’s Canary Wharf, called Canada One if my memory serves me right. Even that scheme was a reference to the American prototypes of the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, characterised by the deep plan, impermeable facade, and an over emphasis on artificial lighting and mechanical ventilation. The Hierarchy of staff is expressed with management in cellular offices next to the windows and ordinary staff working in a open plan core areas with no windows.

George’s Quay seem’s to have all these features with the exception of a far shallower plan. Despite this improvement to the scheme it still conveys the Global Omnipotence of Multi-National Corporations and their $ influence on Urban Planning regardless of any context to Site, City, Countryand Culture.

Hooray for the Seven Canary Dwarves

Any chance of a Mc D’s sign on top

Latest News