1930s – East Pier Gardens, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

2746

274727482750

The area to the sea-side of the East Pier, known as the East Pier Gardens, was heavily landscaped in the first half of the twentieth century, with extensive use of concrete in the 1930s. This included the introduction of concrete pathways, steps, shelters and railings over several levels. There is a network of meandering pathways and steps, with two concrete shelter pavilions located to the east end. These structures are, sadly, no longer accessible, as metal grilles have been attached to all openings. A nearby toilet block was designed by Donnelly, Moore & Keatinge around 1927 – so it is possible that they were also responsible for the concrete landscape design here.