1892 – Railway Viaduct, Newport, Co. Mayo
The railway bridge that once carried steam trains through Newport on their way to Achill is now preserved as the Great Western Greenway, a dedicated 42km off-road walking and cycling amenity. It spans the Blackoak River in seven arches and cost £7,640 to build. Built in 1892 as part of the extension of the Westport line to Achill Sound, Newport was the first station on this extension. The line to Achill was completed in May 1895. The first train crossed the bridge in February 1894, and it was closed in September 1937.