1865 – McBirney’s Department Store, Aston Quay, Dublin
Designed by J. Rawson Carroll around 1865, with later work at the end of the 19th century by William M. Mitchell. A 19th century institution, it had fine panelling and a magnificent staircase. Sadly when the PMPA took over in 1977 many changes were made, including removing the panelling and the staircase. The PMPA laboured in vain to breathe new life and resources into the management of the shop. Closed in 1984. Later after this “Hibernian House” became a Virgin Megastore and now currently in use as a Supervalu convenience store.
Colour Image by Ronan Meenan © National Folklore Collection, UCD