George Wilkinson (1814-1890)
2008 – County Library, Clones, Co. Monaghan
1842 – Workhouse, Clones, Co. Monaghan
Architect: George Wilkinson
Completed 15 November 1842. First admissions 23 February 1843. Total Cost of building and fittings £6,957, provided accommodation for 600. Built to accomodate people from the areas of Clones, Currin, Drumully, Newbliss, and St Tierney in Co. Monaghan, and Aghadrumsee, Newtown Butler, and Rosslea in Co. Fermanagh. Later used as a military barracks, it was one of Wilkinson’s standard designs with a long two storey range flanked by three story blocks and ventilation towers. Closed in 1921. Later demolished, the site is now occupied by a meat processing facility.