1831 – West Gate, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
Castellated gateway constructed in 1831 to replace an earlier and by then ruinous gate. Rebuilt at the expense of a local businessman. The original gate was erected for defensive purposes to keep the Norman town safe from the native Irish. The natives lived beyond the town’s walls, and today the area of the town west of the Gate is known as Irishtown.