1630s – Bishop’s Castle, Raphoe, Co. Donegal
Built in the 1630s for The Rt. Rev. Dr John Leslie, Church of Ireland Lord Bishop of Raphoe. Bishop Leslie was besieged within the castle during the Irish Rebellion of 1641, until he was relieved by the Laggan Army. Leslie was laid siege to again during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland, with the castle surrendering in 1650.
Damaged by supporters of King James II in 1689 during the Williamite War. A century later, in 1798, the castle was attacked again, this time by the United Irishmen, three of whom were killed during the Irish Rebellion of 1798. The castle was destroyed in an accidental fire in 1838. Ruined since.