1935 – Church of the Four Masters, Donegal, Co. Donegal

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne



Construction started in 1931 on this Irish-Romanesque church to designs by Ralph Henry Byrne (1877-1946) and it was built between 1931 and 1935. It was dedicated on St. Patrick’s Day in 1935 by the Most Rev. William MacNeely, Bishop of Raphoe. A celebrated if cumbersome design with many gables and a short oddly proportioned round tower as belfry. Its best feature is the Romanesque sandstone surround to the main entrance with its chevron motifs.