1906 – National Monument & Cenotaph, Grand Parade, Cork
Originally unveiled on St Patrick’s Day 1906 and commemorates the rebellions of 1798, 1803, 1848 and 1867. Patrick Meade, the Mayor of Cork, laid the foundation stone of the monument on 2 October 1898. The spot chosen for the monument at the junction of the Grand Parade and South Mall had formerly been occupied by a statue of George II. Designed by Dominick J. Coakley, the sculpture of the figures was carried out by John F. Davis and includes Wolfe Tone, Michael Dwyer, Thomas Davis, and ‘Mother Erin’.
After a restoration, in April 2009 the Lord Mayor of Cork, Brian Bermingham, took part in a ceremony to rededicate the National Monument and the Cenotaph to0 all the Irish dead of conflicts.