1869 – Mausoleum, Headfort House, Kells, Co. Meath
The mausoleum of the Taylor family built by James Franklin Fuller in 1869, is an octagonal shrine in English Gothic style, with a steeply sloping stone roof rising to an octagonal lantern and a high spire. The spire forms an eye-catcher in the designed landscape and is the focus of several vistas.
“The consecration of this structure, erected by the Marquis of Headfort, took place on the 5th ult. The ceremony was performed by the Lord Bishop of Meath. The mausoleum was erected by Mr. Henry Sharpe, of Kells, from designs by Mr. J. F. Fuller. The building is in the Gothic style of the early part of the fourteenth century. It is octagon on plan. The centre portion, which is supported by eight arches, on richly-moulded columns, rises to a height of about 100 feet, terminating with a handsome cross. The total width below is about 42 feet. The gable over the entrance doorway is filled with elaborate Gothic tracery; in the centre compartment are comprised the arms of the noble marquis, surmounted by the coronet and crest. The entrance archway is richly moulded, and the jambs have double marble columns. The floor is laid in a rich pattern of Minton’s encaustic tiles.” The Irish Builder, June 1 1870