1866 – Liddell Mill, Donaghcloney, Co. Down
The linen mill in Donaghcloney was opened in 1866 by William Nicholson Liddell and quickly became one of the largest jacquard weaving company in Ireland, supplying the tablecloths of the White Star Line’s RMS Titanic back in 1912. In 1973, the William Liddell Company merged with William Ewart & Sons and became Ewart Liddell, ending one of the largest rivalries in linen trade history. During the 1980s, the brand’s linens could be found in luxury department stores such as Harrods, House of Fraser and even Bloomingdales in the US. By the 2000s, the company was struggling to keep pace with competitor pricing and the decision was made to sell the Donaghcloney factory and land. Listed, but sits empty.