1715 – Northgate Gaol, Cork
The gateway building contained a prison in its upper stories. Conditions were atrocious due to its cramped site, until it was replaced by the purpose built Cork Gaol in the 1820s. Similary the Southgate also had space for prisoners. The 1712 bridge illustrated was replaced in the 1860s by a cast iron bridge by Sir John Benson.