1836 – Rostrevor House, Rostrevor, Co. Down
Constructed to replace an earlier house, known as Carrickbawn which was built by the Maguires and known locally as ‘Topsy-Turvy’, because of the ‘unusual manner in which it had been built’. In 1835 the old house was demolished by Elizabeth Ross, and the present Tudor-Revival mansion, one of the earliest examples of this style in Ulster, was erected in its place. Designed by William Deane Butler of Dublin.
The park and garden was to become the focus of one of the most important tree and shrub collections of late Victorian and Edwardian Ireland. In later year the house was used as religious homes by several orders of nuns. Recently sold.