1907 – St. Enda’s Church, Spiddal, Co. Galway

Architect: William A. Scott

Irish builder and engineer

Constructed between 1904 and 1907, and is considered one of the best examples of the Hiberno-Romanesque style as applied to church building. Intended as a genuine Irish style for churches, it recalled earlier Irish medieval churches by using the same vernacular forms including open belfrys, round towers etc. The commission was received on advice of Edward Martyn, Irish playwright and early republican political and cultural activist.

It was described in The Leader, June 1903, by Edward Martyn, as “the first example of what we hope will become a fresh and vigourous architectural wave in Ireland… It is a development of the old Irish Romanesque for contemporary architectural purposes. In this regard, it may be said that modern vernacular architect begins in Ireland.”

“This church is designed in the spirit of the work seen in early Irish buildings, not necessarily copied in any part, but adopting those features which are characteristic of that early period and developing them to suit modern requirements, and the material at hand.

The situation of the church being an exposed one on the Atlantic seaboard, it was deemepet necessary to finish the tower with a para| instead of projecting eaves. The north transcept is roofed in two spans, and has a parapet returning against the tower ; this gives an appearar of mass and solidity, and marks this parts contrast with the low eaves of the main building. The sacristy is placed at the end of the south transept, and within this transept is a gallery & the choir. The north transept will contain a small lady chapel, and pews for the Lord Killanin, one of the founders.

The chancel arch will be semi-circular, in two orders, the inner springing from long corbells with carved terminations. It will be construced in finely-chiselled limestone, and provision will be made for embellishing it with carving at a future time. The roof will be of open timber work, and covered with Killaloe slates, in random sizes. The ridge covering will be cut out of solid sandstone. The porch doorway will have round arches recessed in three orders and are plain for future carving.

The jambstones of doors and windows and all arches and internal piers will be of Galway limestone. The workmanship will mostly by local production. The masonry, which is tel a special feature, will be done by local masons, the leaded lights will be by Irish artists, and executed in Dublin.

The foundation stone was laid on October and the building is now well advanced. The architect is Mr. W.A. Scott, of Drumcondra, near Dublin.” The Builder, December 3 1904.

Map is being rolled out, not all buildings are mapped yet.